Spring is such an exciting time of year, especially when it comes to cooking! Spring reminds us that life continually renews itself, that each day is a beginning and that beautiful things can still grow from the ground of our being.
This gluten free, vegan fresh radicchio salad is topped with a creamy cashew ricotta dressing that adds a beautiful lemony, garlicky flavor. And then come roasted beets, crispy roasted garlic, and candied walnuts. Yum!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 10
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/3 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 dash onion powder
- Water to thin
- 1 medium beet, thinly sliced into rounds
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled + roughly chopped
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 pinch each, sea salt and black pepper
- 2/3 cup raw walnuts
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1 head radicchio, rinsed, dried, bottom trimmed, unpeeled, and roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced
- 1 healthy pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F (218 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add cashews to a small bowl and cover with very hot water. Soak for 10 minutes.
- Add sliced beets and chopped garlic to the prepared baking pan and toss in a bit of oil and salt and pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, add walnuts to a skillet and heat over medium heat to toast for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add maple syrup, coconut sugar, salt, and cinnamon and toss to combine. Turn off heat and allow to cool in the pan.
- In the meantime, prepare dressing. Drain cashews and add to a small blender along with other dressing ingredients.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more garlic for zing, lemon for acidity, salt to taste, or nutritional yeast for cheesiness.!
- Add radicchio to a serving bowl or platter and toss with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Then add cashew dressing and toss to coat.
- Top with roasted beets, garlic, and candied walnuts. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve.