What are Endocrine Disruptors (EDCs)?
The Endocrine System produces and regulates hormones. Our environment is full of chemicals, both man-made and natural, which disrupt the endocrine system. These chemicals are known as Endocrine Disruptors.
Where do people commonly come into contact with Endocrine Disruptors?
Endocrine Disruptors are commonly found in plastic containers, liners of metal food cans, detergents, flame retardants, food, toys, cosmetics, and pesticides.
Which endocrine disrupting chemicals should you try to avoid?
- Bisphenol A (BPA) is one of many endocrine disrupting chemicals found in plastics.
- Dioxins are a byproduct of herbicide production and paper bleaching. Additionally, Dioxin is a byproduct of wildfires and waste burning.
- Perchlorate is found in drinking water and fireworks. It is a byproduct produced by aerospace, weapon, and pharmaceutical industries.
- Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) are used widely in industrial applications, such as firefighting foams and non-stick pans.
- Phthalates are used to make plastics more flexible and are also found in many cosmetics and body care products, food packages, and toys.
- Phytoestrogens are common in soy products such as soy milk.
- Triclosan may be found in some anti-microbial and personal care products.
What risks do Endocrine Disruptors Pose?
EDCs can impair fertility, sperm quality, immunity, sexual health, and respiratory health. In addition, Endocrine Disruptors contribute to endometriosis, cancers, and altered nervous systems.
Now that you’ve learned a little bit about hormonal health and balancing, check out this recipe using TUSOL Rejuvenate. Rejuvenate is packed with vitamin E, sesame seeds, and maca to balance hormones and leave you feeling light and bright. Happy Blending!
ACAI SMOOTHIE BOWL
- 1 cup organic frozen mixed berries
- 1 small ripe banana
- Almond Milk
- TUSOL Rejuvenate
- 1 Tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Nut Butter of choice (optional)
- Fruit (optional)
Add frozen berries and banana to a blender and blend on low until small bits remain
Add a bit of coconut or almond milk and TUSOL Rejuvenate and blend on low again, scraping down sides as needed, until the mixture reaches a soft serve consistency.
Scoop into serving bowls and top with desired toppings (optional).
Leave a comment (all fields required)