This Cheese is NUTS! A Healthy Recipe
This vegan cheese recipe incorporates potent probiotics, which help your body break down fats into fatty acids, protein into amino acids, and carbohydrates into glucose. By supporting the digestive system, these probiotics lead to better nutrient absorption and increased energy. The best thing about this? It's so easy to make, can make a great holiday gift, and it's super insanely delicious! Yes! Let's get this done!
- 2 cups soaked cashews (soaked overnight)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 probiotic capsules*
â©1. Remove the water from your soaked cashews and place cashews into a food processor or high speed blender. Add garlic, lemon, nutritional yeast, and sea salt. Blend starting at a low speed, and then increasing to high. Scrape sides of the blender if you need to, and add water little by little until the consistency is creamy and smooth.
2. Taste and adjust if needed. Depending on your desired taste, you can add more lemon if you want more acidity, more nutritional yeast for a more cheesy taste, or more garlic if you want a garlic cheese.
3. Add mixture into a bowl and break open capsule to release probiotics*. Mix well.â
4. Place a colander over a mixing bowl and lay down a couple of pieces of cheesecloth.
5. Scoop the mixture over the cloth. Gather the corners and carefully twist the top of the cloth to mold the cheese into a disk. Tie it up to secure it.
â©6. Leave to set at room temperature. If you are using regular probiotics (check tips) it needs to sit for at least 24-48 hrs. The longer it sits, the tangier and firmer it gets.
7. Once the cheese has cultured enough for taste, place in the fridge to set for at least 6 hours to firm and chill.
8. To serve, unwrap from cloth and carefully turn upside down onto serving platter. Reshape with hand or cloth if you need to. Top with herbs, seeds, turmeric, or your favorite spices.
*If your probiotics also have prebiotics, it won't work. Since prebiotics are food for the probiotics, we want them to eat the cheese rather than the prebiotics. If your probiotics contain proteolytic enzymes it will work faster, about 8 hours total. Keeps well refrigerated for 1 week.